STOCKHOLM I got the opportunity to visit Stockholm to attend a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare event, (Disclaimer, Activision paid for my travel costs) where I was shown a presentation of Modern Warfare’s Campaign, Multiplayer, PC specs, and Special Ops modes.
I also got the opportunity to talk with Marc-Alexandre Milot who is the Game Director at Beenox, but that is all another article.
There is a lot of information about the new campaign mode Infinity Ward has created on various websites, so I won’t go into much detail there, but I will talk about what they presented me in Stockholm.
I got to see a small gameplay section of a campaign mission called “Operation Clean House”. And I have to say, I sat there with my adrenaline pumping, and almost falling out of my chair, this scene was intense.
You as the player follows a squad inside a block building to clear out enemies in each apartment, everything is dark, as you have cut the power to the building. In Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare the night vision goggles were presented as a green overlay on the screen, but this is not the case in Modern Warfare 2019. I actually got the spooks out of it, like I was playing “Outlast”. Not only does the night vision goggles look incredibly realistic, but the feeling I get moving around the environment is scary and intense.
As in almost every Call of Duty game, each loadout is pre-set for each mission. When you are playing as an American soldier you will be equipped with Tier 1 loadouts, but when you play as a Rebel you will be equipped with far less fancy equipment.
Multiplayer & Special Ops
Not much was said about the Special Ops mode, besides a new trailer and that it will be a four-player co-op.
8 Things to know about Call of Duty: Modern Warfare on PC
(Copied from Activision Press Release)
1.Call of Duty: Modern Warfare features a fully optimized and dedicated PC version which will be available on Battle.net, Blizzard Entertainment’s online gaming platform. This means it will include all the social features of the platform-players will value staying connected to friends playing other games on Battle.net or connected to the Battle.net mobile app. And with crossplay testing, Modern Warfare will connect players from all platforms in the same lobbies.
2. The PC-specific version of Modern Warfare comes with an uncapped framerate, allowing the game to use all of your machine’s raw power to output as many frames as possible per second. Arguably the main reason to play on PC–more frames per second means you can see the enemy before they see you.
3. Modern Warfare comes with widescreen and multiple monitor support that allows players to play the game on more than the standard 16:9 resolution. Modern Warfare has been created so that you could play on 3 x 16:9 monitors without any distortion on the screen, giving you a fully immersive experience.
4. By working together with our Official PC Partner, NVIDIA, Modern Warfare on PC will include DirectX Raytracing (DXR) powered by NVIDIA GeForce RTX. DXR enables real-time raytracing, which is the advanced graphics technique used to give movies their ultra-realistic visual effects–you can see a detailed first look at the video below.
5. The PC version of modern Warfarewill also includes Nvidia Adaptive Shading-a new, advanced shading technique that enables developers to improve performance. By adjusting the rate at which portions of the screen are shaded, the technology reduces the work the GPU has to do, which boosts performance without denigrating image quality. This means that PC gamers will experience high framerates without reductions in image quality.
6. We understand that PC players operate different rigs and we want to offer you the optimal settings whether you’re aiming for performance or quality. GFX is a new feature that lets you choose the optimal settings based on your hardware–if you’re running a high-end PC with a high refresh rate, you can choose to reduce the quality of the display to 240+ fps and improve your performance.
7. The game also features fully customizable key mapping. This includes improved options to fully customize gameplay for keyboard and mouse including gameplay/keybind options, simplified key bindings and advanced mouse options. There are also improved accessibilityoptions based on user preference–for example letting you customize the hold experience toa single press.
8. To ensure the campaign experience is maximized on PC, Modern Warfarefeatures a Field ofView (FOV) that allows the player to view a wider horizontal angle. We know that FOV is an important customization option for PC players specifically–having a wider FOV supports using a wide or multiple monitors set up and leads to an overall more comfortable gameplay experience