After the announcement at E3 last year, I was stoked when Square Enix revealed the first gameplay footage at E3 this year. And once I saw that I was going to be trying the game myself and talk with the developers at Gamescom, I felt like a little child again waiting to open presents at Christmas!
What is Marvel’s Avengers?
Developed by Crystal Dynamics, Eidos-Montrêal, Nixxes Software, and Crystal Northwest and Square Enix as the publisher. Crystal Dynamic’s Avengers game is an original story and vision by them, so don’t prepare for the same MCU as in the films.
As a story-driven third-person action-adventure game, you play the campaign mode solo and can play with up to four friends online to battle against the AIM in new missions.
“Reassemble and rebuild your Avengers roster in an original, cinematic single-player campaign, then battle solo or online alongside friends in new missions around the globe.”
- Play the campaign mode solo to rebuild your Hero roster and restore their powers; then continue to battle AIM solo or online with friends
- Unlock skills and new gear for your heroes that suit your playstyle.
- Customize your heroes with classic, fan-favorite, and all-new outfits inspired by over 80 years of Marvel history.
- Combat system built from the ground up to support unique playstyle for each hero
- Players can launch single-player and co-op warzone missions on the reclaimed helicarrier your heroes use as a base.
- Assemble up to four players online to defend the earth from escalating threats that only the Avengers can overcome.
- The narrative will unfold over multiple years, with every new superhero and region delivered at no additional cost.
As the Marvel fanatic I am, I can assure you I had a lot of fun playing through this demo. Looking at it objectively it might be a bit repetitive, but then again, I only got the opportunity to test out the tutorial of the game. And from what I can see from the presentation afterward, with RPG elements, such as different level of gear, skills, etc. It might just be enough to keep players going. I for one, can’t wait for the release, and the question I asked the developers; “Where’s Hawkeye?”, the only response I got was “Who?” with a big smile on his face. Instead of talking about what I experienced, you can watch the exact demo I’ve played through below.
Official gameplay footage of the same demo I was able to play at Gamescom 2019.
Marvel’s Avengers is set to release on the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Stadia and PC 15th of May 2020.