Fear the Wolves is a competitive Battle Royale FPS game developed by Vostok Games, known for their work at S.T.A.L.K.E.R. And the Battle Royale genre isn’t something we can call a new genre, so Vostok Games need to deliver something special to the table to survive this fight. Especially now as Fortnite and PUBG have set the standard, and we can’t forget the newly announced battle royale modes in Battlefield V and Call of Duty: Black Ops 4.
My first encounter with the game was in the extremely early stages of the game, and from that point to where they’re now is a huge improvement. Not only visual improvements, but also performance and weapon balance. Not once did I feel I was underpowered or unfairly outmatched. I died a lot, especially in the beginning, but I didn’t go mental nor blamed the game for unfairly treatment, lag, etc. of what possible excuses I can think off. One major thing that I especially like, is the all new voting system while you spectate the rest of the match. You can vote on the diverse picks of different weather conditions that actually do have an impact on the game. And of course, I can’t forget, do fear the wolves, the wolves in this game are brutal ninjas!
Fear the Wolves might not be a visually masterpiece yet, and there are still some minor bugs that needs to be fixed before a launch. The biggest issue I had with this game, is the mouse sensitivity, even set on “2” the mouse moves extremely fast. (not sure if this is a local problem with my PC or generally with this game)
What’s included in the early access now (Source)
– The game: A 100 player battle royale experience that supports solo and squad modes.
– The basics: 20+ guns, 25+ attachments, 15+ armours, air drops, consumables, and much more
– PvE: Wolf packs stalk players and are a deadly threat, while anomalies from the disaster must also be avoided to survive
– One Map: 25km2 map in the ruins surrounding Chernobyl, with rivers, forests, destroyed towns, hidden army camps, and much more
– Dynamic, vote-based weather system: The weather of Chernobyl is constantly changing – you’ll face clear days, harsh winds, thunderous storms, and more, all voted for by the players spectating a match.
– Time passes: As a match continues, morning will turn to noon and finally dusk as you make your extraction.
– Vehicles: Dilapidated but functional jeeps dot the landscape of Fear the Wolves, a loud and obvious but speedy way to escape dangerous areas.
– Radiation: Radiation infects the battlefield at random, spreading unevenly, and offering different threats depending on intensity.
– The Extraction: Escape each map in a dramatic finale as you fight the other last players standing to extract via helicopter
– Spectator mode: Dead players can continue to spectate a match, and vote for weather.
What’s coming next and in future updates (Source)
– Crawling and leaning: New movement options to give you more options in a fight
– Customization: Make your character your own with dozens of cosmetic customization options across seven slots.
– Anomalous Storm: A new weather type that unleashes hell across the battlefield.
– Livestream integration: Weather voting will also be accessible to Twitch and Mixer viewers
– New waiting room: Pre-match experience will be overhauled with a new setting
– In-game voice chat: Talk to your squad and discuss tactics
– A better Chernobyl: The map will be polished with additional tuning of problem areas
– More languages: Localisation will be expanded as we head towards release. We are targeting 16 languages including French, German, Russian, and Chinese.
– New exclusive game mode: A brand new, innovative reimagining of the Battle Royale genre is in development.
– Improved spectator mode: Automated functions and refined UI.
– Match replays: Learn from your mistakes or relive your finest-ever extraction.
– Polished waiting room: New functionality for the pre-game experience.
– More customization items: Cosmetics will continue to be added, letting you create your perfect character, including a progression system with unlockable items.
– New functionality: Backstabbing with machetes, breaking down doors with axes – your weapon choice will have a real effect on the world.
– New vehicle: More ways to cross the map at speed are coming.
– Map polishing: As we receive feedback on the base map, we intend to improve the design, biome diversity, and indoor areas.
– New landmarks: We will also add new buildings, oddities, and other elements to the map.
– Player clans: Group up with friends in and out of matches.
– More weapons and items: New guns, melee weapons, and attachments.
– Night gameplay: Still in a prototype stage, we intend to bring the terror of night to Fear the Wolves
– More mutants: The wolves are not the only creatures to be poisoned by Chernobyl’s radiation.
– A new way to play: New modes and maps are in development, including complete overhauls of the Battle Royale genre.”