The introduction of crossplay in Modern Warfare, when it launches next month on the 25th of October, is only one example of how Call of Duty is uniting the community. We’ll also see the removal of Season Pass along with plans to release free maps and content post-launch.
With crossplay, developer Infinity Ward is ensuring players can experience together the fun of Call of Duty multiplayer regardless of system. This weekend’s Crossplay Open Beta will provide not only a golden opportunity for gamers to have a blast together, but additionally provide developers valuable feedback as they polish for worldwide release next month.
How does it all work you ask? Well, here are some of the details:
- You can Opt in, or Opt out:
In Modern Warfare, players can choose to enable crossplay, allowing players to play with friends on all three supported platforms, so the game offers an opt-in choice.
- A COD Account is Needed:
Remember, you will need a COD Account to play Modern Warfare, if you don’t have one already you can create one here.
- Matchmaking and Balancing:
In Modern Warfare, crossplay has been designed to factor play balancing across differences in controller type. No one should feel an unfair advantage. Plus, players have choices on which control device they wish to use on any platform. Here are some examples you may experience:
- You can decide to use a keyboard and mouse on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One.
- You can decide to use a controller on PC.
- PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC players can all play against each other, provided they all utilize controllers, or all utilize KBM (a keyboard and mouse).
- You can place into a lobby where there are no control scheme filters, allowing you to play with players using both controllers and/or KBM across up to all three supported platforms.
- Adding your Friends and Gathering Parties:
Using your COD Account, you are able to create cross-platform Friends lists and Parties from all three supported platforms. This unites the community by overcoming barriers, creating platform-agnostic friend groups. Are you a PS4 player with friends on Xbox One and PC, for example? Now you can arrange parties and jump into matches with your friends, easily and quickly regardless of platform!
- Crossplay Applicable Modes:
Crossplay supports all multiplayer modes in Modern Warfare. There are no plans currently to support Ranked Play or competitive tournaments.