Since its debut in 1987, Contra has inspired tons of different shooter games throughout the years. But now, after the E3 reveal Contra is back!
Contra: Rogue Corps is a twin-stick action shooter game, with fast and chaotic action.
- Action shooter with a fast-paced run & gun style gameplay.
- Choose from 4 diverse characters with their own unique skills and special attacks – determine weapon loadouts, customize and craft unique weapons and create a perfect symphony of destruction throughout the Damned City.
- Operation Room – Upgrade characters and abilities, augmenting each with improved organs and cybernetics.
- PVE – Deep single-player Story campaign mode chock-full of challenging missions among hordes of enemies. Go solo or group up with up to 4 friends or random players online in multi-player.
- PVP – Create custom matches (private mode) for 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 or 1v4 players*
- Local Couch CO-OP modes with up to 4 players.
During my visit at the Konami booth I had the opportunity to get a small presentation from one of the developers, as well as trying out the game with three other press attendees in online co-op. First off let me introduce you to the four characters available in the game;
Hungry Beast – Once the noted scientist, Kurt Steiner had his brain inserted into a giant cyborg panda. Now he spends most of his time looking for delicious snacks.
Kaiser – A soldier from the Alien Wars, rebuilt after receiving massive injuries. Now features a massive arm that transforms into a drill.
Ms. Harakiri –Famed assassin specializing in stealth and infiltration. After barely escaping death during the Alien Wars she fused together with an alien, now taking residence in her midsection.
Gentleman – Brain Bug alien raised by humans. Thinks the rest of the team are ill-mannered and vulgar, especially the Panda. Argues over table manners and the neatest and most efficient way to dispatch an enemy.
You can play with up to four friends offline, but the story missions and gameplay view are different from the “solo” story mode.
I played as the “Hungry Beast” character. With a Gatling gun as main weapon and shooting drills as my secondary. There are no ammo pickups. The only thing I had to keep in mind was that my weapons could overheat. I also had two different kinds of abilities; one which refreshed on a timer where I could summon three mini pandas with machine guns and the second one is a “bomb pick-up”. When I picked up bombs I could use an ability to jump up with a jet-pack and blast out a bunch of missiles.
The mission I had the opportunity to try was filled with enemy minions, mini-bosses and a final “big boss”. I can easily see that I could spend a lot of hours with friends playing this offline.
A small Gamescom sneak peek at the new PvP Carnage League
Contra: Rogue Corps will arrive for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC on the 26th of September this year.