THQ Nordic showcased a lot more content from their upcoming title Darksiders 3 at Gamescom this year. A brand new trailer, a nearly 40 minute long gameplay footage and the opportunity to get hands on at the show floor.
What is Darksiders 3?
“Return to an apocalyptic Earth in Darksiders III, a hack-n-slash Action Adventure where players assume the role of Fury in her quest to hunt down and dispose of the Seven Deadly Sins. The most unpredictable and enigmatic of the Four Horsemen, Fury must succeed where many have failed – to bring balance to the forces that now ravage Earth. Darksiders III is the long-anticipated, third chapter in the critically-acclaimed Darksiders franchise.” – THQ Nordic
- Play as Fury, a mage who must rely on her whip and magic to restore the balance between good and evil on Earth!
- Harness Fury’s magic to unleash her various forms, each granting her access to new weapons, moves and traversal abilities.
- Explore an open-ended, living, free-form game world in which Fury moves back and forth between environments to uncover secrets while advancing the story.
- Defeat the Seven Deadly Sins and their servants who range from mystical creatures to degenerated beings.
- Sit in awe of Darksiders signature art style. Expansive post-apocalyptic environments that take the player from the heights of heaven to the depths of hell, dilapidated by war and decay and overrun by nature
As I mentioned, Darksiders 3 had a playable demo at the showfloor this year. Previous titles in this series, has always felt smooth and responsive. Enough combo’s to keep things interesting, sadly this isn’t the case in Darksiders 3. (For now)
It might just be because of an early build of the demo, but the controls felt sluggish. This skinny female character felt like moving a drunk person home after a hard night out. In previous titles, and other hack & slash games, things moves fast. Everything from sprinting to combat, things go fast. In this experience, things didn’t go that fast at all. Using the whip as a grappling hook, felt unbalanced, and I wasn’t sure how to correctly use it perfectly. Each time I hitted the target and swinged over, it felt most of the time as luck. Level designs is small, and by creating small levels, within this genre you need space to be able to dodge enemies. Dodging is difficult, not only because of the level design, but also because of the slow pace.
There are no secret that I didn’t quit felt happy about this title after this playthrough. There are a few things they absolutely need to fix before release. If you are a fan of this series, you might be disappointed if they release this title in this stage.
Darksiders 3 is set to release 27, November 2018 for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.